Underpainting and abstracts
This post looks at the further use of underpainting and how it can influence our work in quite dramatic ways. The paintings you see here are underpaintings done in preparation for a colour blocking technique. The finished version of this appears later in the post.
- A simple place to start is to get the real estate pages out of the paper and go through the houses for sale. Look at the images until you find one that has shapes that appeal to you.
- Then do some preliminary drawings until you find an arrangement of shapes that you like as in the above drawing.
- Then you paint an under painting of your working drawing – this is version I
- You might experiment with different colours on top of your underpainting.
- Or take the same composition and give it a totally different colour palette. You can see what a different effect you can get by doing this .
- See how by placing different tones and colours in the same position, you take the viewer’s eye to a different place.
- For extra emphasis separate the colour blocks with thick or thin or uneven black or coloured lines
And then you have the finished painting
To see the same subject handled differently – check out next weeks post……
Next Thursday’s Post: Developing an abstract painting continued
Next Monday’s Post: Childhood causes for creative blocks
Posted By: Kadira Jennings