This past week I have been involved in a virtual creativity workshop with Angi Sullins. I would like to share with you a great exercise she had us doing this week, which is all about allowing yourself to do things. To remind us to allow ourselves to be less ‘responsible’ and more impulsive and heart oriented in our activities, Angi had us all make a permission flag. Here is mine….
We have become such slaves to leading ordered lives, fitting into our self assigned roles that have later in life become outworn garments of an inner life long discarded.
- When was the last time you allowed yourself to do something delightful just because you felt like doing it?
- When was the last time you did something without considering what everyone else wanted to do first?
- When was the last time you skipped somewhere? Yes I did say skipped. Did you know that if you can get over yourself enough to forget about being silly, that skipping is an expression of joy? Did you know that it’s very hard – if not impossible to skip and stay grumpy, or sad or depressed?
- When was the last time you created something just for the sheer joy of doing it – rather than because of one of those ‘have to ‘reasons?
So what do you do with your Permission Flag?
- The idea is to put them around your house, in your car, outside the front door – any place where you want to remind yourself that it is OK to do something special for NO REASON. We don’t have to have a reason to be happy.
- We don’t have to have a reason to explore the world we live in more fully. Are there streets in your neighbourhood that you have never been down? Perhaps you might take some time out this week to go and visit some of them – just to see what’s there?
It is these actions that fill our creativity cups. You can’t create in a vacuum – go and fill up your cups. Give yourself permission to do so. I have two challenges for you today -
- Go skipping this week. How does it feel? What did you realize ?
- Make your own permission flag – have fun doing it and put things on it that represent fun for you. And give yourself permission to have some fun this week
I would love to know how you go – Please feel inspired to come and share your experiences here. The comments button is in the top right hand corner of the post as always. I am going to give myself permission to only do one blog post a week for the month of August as I have a very busy month coming up, preparing for the colour workshop I’m giving at the end of August. So for the next few weeks beginning this week, I will only be posting on Mondays – Down Under or Sundays Up Over!! depending on which part of the world you live in! Wow the liberation I feel in saying that is TREMENDOUS. I can actually have an early night tonight now ….. Woohooo!!!